Author Topic: WASTE-mini-Tutorial v0.1  (Read 13017 times)

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
WASTE-mini-Tutorial v0.1
« on: May 31, 2005, 08:53:13 PM »
WASTE is a secure collaboration tool for chatting and filesharing between friends. (description on Wikipedia) Here's my little mini-Tutorial, based on the documentation and my own experiments:

Building a network between WASTE clients: (an example with two PCs on Internet)

1) installation of WASTE:
Get the software from the project's download area on Sourceforge. Under Windows I would start "waste-setup-1.5-beta-3-full-eng.exe".
In our example WASTE is installed on PC1 and PC2.

2) create a new identity:
Every member of this WASTE network has to create an identity with a keypair for the encrypted data connections.
In the example network we have two identities. The user at PC1 creates one and the user at PC2 creates another one.

3) key exchange:
WASTE uses a keypair with a private and a public key (like in PGP). The members of the WASTE network has to exchange their PUBLIC keys. Only users with direct network connections between their WASTE clients need to do this manually. The WASTE client can do an automatic key exchange with other members on the WASTE network.

To export your own public key:
"File" -> "Preferences..." -> "Network, Private Key" -> "copy my public key to the clipboard"
In our example the user at PC1 would export the public key from his own identity. He would send it via a secure way to the user on PC2. The user on PC2 would send his public key to the user at PC1. If you don't transfer the public key via a secure way, then you should check the signature of the key on telephone. This is to prevent a man in the middle attack against your WASTE network. (sounds perhaps a bit paranoid, but you WANT a private network, isn't it?)

To import the public key from a friend:
"File" -> "Preferences..." -> "Network, Public Keys" -> "Add..." then choose the file with his public key or paste his key into the field on the bottom.
In our Example the user at PC1 would insert the public key from his friend at PC2. The user at PC2 would insert the key from the user at PC1.

4) Connect the WASTE clients:
Open the "Network Status" (symbol with an orange flash on the left side in the WASTE client). Then type in the network address of your friend in the line above (format: [IP]:[Port], a hostname instead of an IP is possible, the default port for WASTE is 1337) and press RETURN.
In our example both PCs are behind a Router/Firewall and can't accept direct connections from the internet. The user at PC2 opens the default port for WASTE (1337) on his router device and activates port-forwarding to his PC. Now his WASTE client is able to get connections from the Internet. The user on PC1 enters now the outer IP address of his friend's router into WASTE with the port 1337 (e.g. 12.23.34.45:1337). Now both users should see a secure connection to each other.

Greetings,
Nemo.

PS: I will update this mini-Tutorial from time to time. Give me feedback about this mini-Tutorial to improve the quality of this information.

Changelog:
2005-05-31 version 0.1: first try.

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Re: WASTE-mini-Tutorial v0.1
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 05:49:31 PM »
This is probably a dumb question, just wondering if waste could be run over i2p, hmm. If so would it be worth it?

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 06:33:27 PM »
This is probably a dumb question, just wondering if waste could be run over i2p, hmm.
Yes, it's possible to run WASTE over i2p. WASTE needs one TCP connection for communication with another WASTE node; it works via i2ptunnel!

Defnax had the idea to  run WASTE over Tor in the german WASTE forum. I successfully tried a connection over i2p and wrote a little report about my WASTE-over-i2p-test.

My test was a i2p connection between a WASTE server and a WASTE client on the same PC. It's not possible to run two or more WASTE clients on Windows at the same time, so I couldn't test chatting and file sharing... :(
(defnax wrote me about problems with file sharing over i2p. I don't know why WASTE shouldn't work as usual if the TCP connection is tunneled over i2p... Further tests are necessary to proof the correct working of WASTE chats and file transfers over i2p.)

If so would it be worth it?
WASTE is for a closed group like a virtual private network. Using WASTE means everybody in the group trust each other for 100%, but the network traffic is protected against attackers from the outside.
Using WASTE over i2p would make sense, if the group itself wants to be hidden. An usual WASTE mesh over the Internet has encrypted traffic, but the ISP (or FBI or whoever) can see the IP address of other members in this group by monitoring long-time TCP connections (easier if WASTE default port 1337 is used).

If the group don't want to be hidden, then they should use the regular Internet. They will have a higher connection and a lower latency. Tunneling their connections over i2p whould be like double-encryption of the data traffic (overkill, cpu time wasting or more security? You decide. ::)).

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 06:33:48 AM »
@Nemo: Thanks for the tutorial, it might be usefull for all WASTE beginners :D

Cheers,
Markus

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:45:30 PM »
hi

have you forget anythings in your mini- Turtorial?

I can now download from other Waste-I2P user , but i forget at last test to add the wastserver i2p adress link + destination key into host.txt
i have now tested today with a waste-I2P user with testfiles and downloads is possible!
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 08:49:16 PM by defnax »