Author Topic: Why is OFF used so little?  (Read 6807 times)

Offline street011

• View Profile
Why is OFF used so little?
« on: April 11, 2012, 10:42:07 PM »
Is there something crucial i'm missing here? OFF seems to be the fastest and easiest way to share content safely amongst the masses, i would expect this would have been adopted by at least a few thousand people, but no. But complicated and slow things like I2P, freenet, tor, mute etc, flourish.
Makes me wonder if there's some crucial vulnerability that i've missed? Is it not scalable? or what is the issue here?

Of all the 'anon' tools/networks out there OFF seems to have the most potential at first glance to me.

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Why is OFF used so little?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 05:11:11 PM »
Hi street011

Last time I tried OFF (perhaps 2.5 years ago) I was fascinated by the idea and simple technic behind it. After a while there were a fork called "Blocksnet", it had a nice FUSE integration.

At the same time I was disapointed about the fact, that many found files on the network aren't complete available: If only one or more blocks are missing, then it's impossible to recreate the whole file...! This leaded to many endless downloads hanging at 99.9%.

I don't know the actual development and network state of these P2P-networks. I assume they're in a sleeping state, the anonymous P2P-hype is over....  :-\

BTW: We had some discussions about OFF and Blocksnet in a german section of this board two years ago:
http://board.planetpeer.de/index.php/topic,7770.msg39496.html#msg39496
http://board.planetpeer.de/index.php?topic=7652.0
(the developer answered the feature request for FEC - Forward Error Correction usage on the Sourceforge-Project website)

Please inform us if you see news about these P2P-networks. Thanks in advance.  :)

Greetings,
Nemo.