Author Topic: Successful: WASTE-connection in I2P network  (Read 12335 times)

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
Successful: WASTE-connection in I2P network
« on: May 18, 2005, 06:00:47 PM »
I tested a connection between a WASTE server and a WASTE client over the I2P network. It IS possible to use this collaboration tool over I2P as assumed in the german WASTE forum on Planetpeer. That means that a closed user group (everybody trust each other) could establish their private WASTE network over I2P and nobody else can see this network.  8)

Some problems in my little test (a wider test is needed with more WASTE users and an I2P expert...):
-I rarely start/test I2P
-I'm not a WASTE expert
-I used only one PC for this test
-two WASTE Clients can't run on one Windows box at the same time, so I run a WASTE server and a WASTE client on the same machine
-I don't know how to generate an own destination keypair in I2P, so I used the keypair from my local eepsite (this one is generated without interaction)

Ok, here we start. I wont explain everything in detail, so I hope you get the idea how to test it yourself.  :-\

1] Installation:I installed the newest I2P version and the newest WASTE version. For WASTE I took "waste-setup-1.5-beta-3-full-eng.exe" and installed it as usual. I didn't run it now, because I want to duplicate this fresh installation in step 2.

2] Second WASTE node (WASTE server in my case): I copied the WASTE client program folder and added "-server" into the folder's name. I downloaded the single EXE file called "WASTESrv.exe" (look in "waste-server-windows-1.5-beta-2.zip") into this new folder.

Other possibility: Install WASTE client again in another folder and copy the server into this fresh installation folder.

3] Configuration of WASTE node 1: Run WASTE Client, generate a new profile with a new keypair for this node. Under "preferences" set another TCP port for listening (both WASTE nodes on the same PC can't listen to the same TCP port...). Export the public key of this node to the clipboard ("preferences" -> "private key"). Close this WASTE Client.

4] Configuration of WASTE node 2: Run WASTE Client, new profile, new keypair. Under "preferences" -> "public keys" insert the public key of the other WASTE node. Export the public key of this node to the clipboard. Close this WASTE Client.

5] complete the key exchange: Run WASTE Client in node 1 again and import the public key of the other WASTE node. Now both nodes have a cryptographic signed user identity and the public key of the other node.
(note: this manual key exchange has to be done for nodes with a direct connection. WASTE can do an automatic key exchange and node announcement on the WASTE network for a better integration into the network. This should be safe because you trust every member.)

6] I2PTunnel-Configuration for WASTE server (or a WASTE Client; used as access point for other members): This is my configuration according to the I2PTunnel Howto, Chapter 2:

(I don't know how to generate another I2P destination keypair, so I used the keypair which is supposed for a "quick-and-dirty-eepsite". During this test I had to deactivate the eepsite, it's not possible to use a keypair for two services at the same time)

My configuration forwards the I2PTunnel to the listening WASTE server on TCP port 1337.

7] I2PTunnel-Configuration for other WASTE peers: Screenshot:
Don't forget: WASTE public key exchange is needed between the peers!

My configuration: The I2PTunnel listens on TCP port 1338. Once it gets a connection to the port, the data is forwarded to the I2P destination key, where the WASTE server is waiting for anonymous connections.

8] Activating the access point (WASTE server): The server uses the same configuration files as the WASTE client, except copying "waste.ini" to "wastesrv.ini" is needed. I run the server ("WASTESrv.exe") with option "-i" in a command box, the wanted password is empty in my test (it's the password to the user identity):

9] Starting the other WASTE peer: Run the other WASTE node. Go to the "network status". Enter "localhost:1338" and it should find the WASTE Server over I2P:

(I tried a second connection between these two peers via a direct TCP connection. WASTE gave this connection another rating, but it keeps only the first connection, which is over I2P. I wonder if it would switch to the direct connection if I2P gets problems or vice versa?!?)

The screenshot in step 8 shows two incoming connections. The first one from the I2PTunnel, the second one is direct (local on the PC).

Now I have this connection:
(WASTE Client connecting to localhost:1338) --- (I2PTunnel-Client listening on port 1338) --- (I2P network) --- (I2PTunnel-Server connecting to localhost:1337) --- (WASTE server listening on port 1337)
That's cool, isn't it?  ;D

Ok, my little test is only a proof of concept. Now it's your turn to test the speed of chatting/filesharing, to build bigger WASTE networks over I2P, to correct me when you find mistakes or missing parts in my little recipe.  ;D

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Successful: WASTE-connection in I2P network
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:25:37 PM »
thanks is working for me now!

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Successful: WASTE-connection in I2P network
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 03:34:01 PM »
hi

and all Waste I2P clients must need in Hosts.txt file the destination of the Wasteserver!

and in Target: dont need add big destination!

can use like example wasteserver.i2p!