Author Topic: Quartermaster: a distributed file storage framework for I2P  (Read 6651 times)

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
Quartermaster: a distributed file storage framework for I2P
« on: April 22, 2005, 06:23:48 PM »
Source: http://aum.i2p/q/

Quartermaster, or Q for short, is a distributed file storage framework for I2P.
Features

* Now features 'QSites' - the Q equivalent of Freenet freesites, static websites which are retrievable even if author is offline
    * Easy web interface - interact with Q (and view/insert QSites) from your web browser
    * Maximum expectations of content retrievability
    * Content security akin to Freenet CHK and SSK keys
    * Powerful, flexible search engine
    * Comfortably accommodates both permanent and transient nodes without significant network disruption (for instance, no flooding of the I2P network with futile calls to offline nodes)
    * Rapid query resolution, due to distributed catalogue mirroring which eliminates all in-network query traffic
    * Modular, extensible architecture
    * Simple interfaces for 3rd-party app developers
    * Is custom-designed and built around I2P, so no duplication of I2P's encryption/anonymity features
    * Simple XML-RPC interface for all inter-node communication, makes it easy to implement user-level clients in any language; also allows alternative implementations of core server and/or client nodes.

Cheers,
Markus

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Quartermaster: a distributed file storage framework for I2P
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2005, 06:08:15 PM »
    * Now features 'QSites' - the Q equivalent of Freenet freesites, static websites which are retrievable even if author is offline
Hmm, this is an add-on for I2P, isn't it? I hope there are enough people who runs this application to host dangerous files from other users... , or huge movie files or whatever...
The I2P devs should permanently include this functionality into I2P, so every node provides some harddisk space. In GNUnet/Freenet/Entropy the users are forced to host files from other people and to provide harddisk space.

Sounds good, but it's difficult to implement in an anonymous network. Spammers/Flooders aren't far away.... (->Flooding of file index or message forums in the Freenet client "Frost" showed this problem)
IMO a search engine has to build it's index with user trust ratings to prevent spamming.
    * Is custom-designed and built around I2P, so no duplication of I2P's encryption/anonymity features
I hope the files itself are encrypted... (I suppose it because of using Freenet's SSK/CHK mechanism)
If dangerous files from unknown other users would lay around on the harddisk, then there isn't "plausible deniability"...

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2005, 06:56:01 PM »
Hmm, this is an add-on for I2P, isn't it? I hope there are enough people who runs this application to host dangerous files from other users... , or huge movie files or whatever...
The I2P devs should permanently include this functionality into I2P, so every node provides some harddisk space. In GNUnet/Freenet/Entropy the users are forced to host files from other people and to provide harddisk space.

Sounds good, but it's difficult to implement in an anonymous network. Spammers/Flooders aren't far away.... (->Flooding of file index or message forums in the Freenet client "Frost" showed this problem)
IMO a search engine has to build it's index with user trust ratings to prevent spamming.
I hope the files itself are encrypted... (I suppose it because of using Freenet's SSK/CHK mechanism)
If dangerous files from unknown other users would lay around on the harddisk, then there isn't "plausible deniability"...

Greetings,
Nemo.

Not all users will want to run quartermaster, it's good that it is a addon. You can choose to run it or another dds such as freenet or entropy. As to capacity of the network and spammers/flooders well that isn't much of a issue just yet not until the i2p 0.6 version is released or even later. Then if there are enough people that decide to run quartermaster and spam/flood it, well it could become a issue, how much of one depends on quartermaster's features, number of q nodes, etc.

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2005, 06:59:12 PM »
In GNUnet/Freenet/Entropy the users are forced to host files from other people and to provide harddisk space.
That's not true for GNUnet.
Users are free to turn "Active Migration" off.

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2005, 08:00:21 PM »
In GNUnet/Freenet/Entropy the users are forced to host files from other people and to provide harddisk space.
That's not true for GNUnet.
Users are free to turn "Active Migration" off.
Ok then, I will have to check GNUnet again. It seems that many features were added during the last year...  ;D

Thanks for the correction.

Greetings,
Nemo.