Author Topic: Windows i2p Quick Start Guide  (Read 28193 times)

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Windows i2p Quick Start Guide
« on: January 24, 2005, 07:47:45 PM »
Bitz's Windows I2P Quick Start Guide
 Version 2
 Last Updated 9-8-2005

1. Before installing i2p, you will need to make sure you have the java 1.5 runtime environment (jre) installed and properly set up. Older versions tend to cause problems and are much slower. Versions older than 1.4 are not compatible with i2p, some older 1.4 versions may not be compatible either.

2. Next Download the latest i2p installer from i2p's site. Double-click the downloaded file to launch the installer (only works if you have properly installed java).
After it is installed you will need to configure a couple things.

3. Be sure to configure any software firewall's, local routers to allow/forward the needed ports.

4. Configure Your Firewall
in the router console, go to configuration
change the tcp port to whatever port you configured in your firewall to allow
click on Save Changes

5. Reseed
Finally you will need to click on reseed in the router console. Reseeding can take some time.

That should be all that is needed to get a node up and running on most windows systems. Good Luck! 8)

Optional extended setup tasks

Open up the router console, go to configuration -> advanced

Configure your i2p router's address

Some of you may want to add this line (minus the quotes) "i2np.tcp.host=example.dyndns.org" and "i2np.udp.host=example.dyndns.org" to there, substitute example.dyndns.org with whatever your dyndns url or internet address is. Click on Apply

Secure your router
then add this line "consolePassword=yourpassword" replacing yourpassword with whatever password you want. As to the password's length long passwords of up 20 characters are known to work. Not sure offhand what the max allowed length really is. Anyways you only need to add this if you wish to lock and share access to your router with others. For example it is on a shared system, lan, etc. To login, the username is admin.

Router Updates
Another would be to Open up the router console, go to configuration -> update

Here you can configure the update options. How often and if it checks for updates, the update urls, to use a proxy and if so it's settings, what to do when an update is found. First let me point out I advise against changing the update urls, if you are going to do so then be sure write down the originals somewhere beforehand. At the moment the three things to set here should just be the proxy, refresh frequency and update policy.

For example setting the refresh to 12h, the policy to notify only and setting it to update through the eeproxy, is recommended if you just want to be told about new versions but want to decide if you want to update to the new version or not. It's the safest choice. However for anyone that doesn't want to pay close attention and would just like their router to always be up to date then setting the policy to "download and install" can be used.

Bandwidth Settings
Next we can Open up the router console, go to configuration -> Network

Here we can set the bandwidth limits and time sync. It is highly recommended to leave the internal time sync enabled! Most users should not change that. Anyways the bandwidth limits are really what we are interested in here. These values will depend on what your connection speed (dialup, cable, dsl, t1...) is.

For dialup users anything between 1KB and 5KB inbound should do, a outbound rate of 1KB to 2KB (really doesn't matter how little you contribute as you have such a slow connection it won't make much difference to others anyways). Burst settings for dialup should be set to the lowest possible setting. Also the same goes for share percentage.

For cable outbound of 20KB or even up to 35KB should do. Inbound is really your call, though anything above 800KB is probably not going to make much difference. If you share a connection with others then setting 20KB to 25KB outbound and 200KB to 250KB inbound is a good adverage setting. Burst rates and bandwidth share percentage is completely up to you, see what works best for your system and connection.

As to dsl, t1 and other connections, start with the recommended settings for cable above and tweak them to fit your bandwidth limitations.

Warning anyone that has accounts with a monthly bandwidth limit or other such crappy limitations, this is a major consumer of bandwidth (though it is possible to limit it through the settings, it still is possible for it to go over your monthly limits!). It is commonly recommended people drop such worthless service providers and go with a quality provider whenever possible.

For Further Information and help check out these great resources
The offical i2p website
The various i2p user forums, such as the ones at planetpeer.de :D
The offical i2p forums
Easily-Confused Noob's Guide to I2P
Notes concerning this guide
Author is not an i2p developer or official member of the project. This guide was written to hopefully help anyone interested in i2p. Information in this guide may become outdated over time, depending on i2p's further development. Also be careful when following user written guides, as they may contain mistakes and outdated information.

Suggestions
If you encounter any major trouble and the other forums members cannot help you, the official i2p forums is the best place to get help and to submit error logs, bug reports and more.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2005, 08:48:35 AM by bitz »

Offline SirFrancisBacon

• Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
Re: Windows i2p Quick Start Guide
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2005, 06:16:14 AM »
How do i know what my dyndns is?

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2005, 07:19:19 AM »
How do i know what my dyndns is?
You have to create your own dyndns account. There are several providers who  provides free accounts, DynDNS is one of them.

Cheers,
Markus

Offline postman

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2005, 05:08:04 PM »
Hello,

please note that dyndns is not (no longer) needed or used
with I2P anymore. Even when using a dynamic IP the router should be able to start fine
without any further configuration in the addressing/naming department.

Just make sure the node can be reached on the specified port and reseed -
a world of wonder will then soon embrace your lonely soul :)

postman
--
postman@i2pmail.org
Postmaster and Administrator
http://hq.postman.i2p - I2P's free and anonymous Mailsystem

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2005, 08:19:45 AM »
Just noticed the I2p Inproxy has been updated.

Just incase anyone doesn't know for some reason the easiest way to use it is by selecting the start link. From "Ready to begin? Looking for a place to start?" on the inproxies webpage. Dunno why using the begin link feature doesn't seem to work...

Anyways the start link will send you to orion.i2p which from there you can travel to any listed i2p eepsite.

However for your privacy you should perhaps set up a local tor+privoxy webproxy and visit the inproxy via tor. Or use another proxy service to anonymize your webrowsing, when using the inproxy.

Anyways bottom line anyone not running i2p can now easily access the eepsites thanks to the inproxy and jdot.

Also the inproxy only seems to allow webpages and graphics to be loaded, any downloads do not work or are intentionally filtered.

So the inproxy doesn't provide full access to eepsite content, only limited access. To download anything from the eepsites visitors still will need to be running i2p.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2005, 08:55:45 AM by bitz »

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2005, 04:10:17 PM »
So the inproxy doesn't provide full access to eepsite content, only limited access. To download anything from the eepsites visitors still will need to be running i2p.
That's a cool thing!  :) People can surf to these teaser-sites and then they decide to run I2P themself...  ;D

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2005, 08:53:26 AM »
Just updated the guide. A pdf version of it can be downloaded here

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2005, 07:47:09 PM »
Another i2p wiki
Ugha's wiki

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2005, 06:00:22 PM »

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 08:56:44 AM »

Offline Electro Squid

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2007, 01:20:49 AM »
I'm sorry, i want to use I2P but im really getting confused here. First off i'm just suppose to install i2phex, right, not i2p because i2p is actually the network. If im suppose to install the network then which file over here, http://www.i2p.net/download am i suppose to download? There's 3 which ones i2p, and i can't get to the i2phex file off of the forum.

???

Offline ankern

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2007, 05:07:05 PM »
I2P is the basis, the network that I2Phex and the other programs are running on.

Assuming you're on Windows,
http://dev.i2p.net/i2p/i2pinstall.exe
is the one to go for (the other files are for Linux users).

The latest I2Phex releases are available here :
http://forum.i2p.net/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=9b896903cf0ccd481aaef39fff6693f7

Syndie is here :
http://syndie.i2p.net/download.html

and I2Psnark is already built into I2P; it can be reached via the console.

Offline Electro Squid

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2007, 09:03:31 PM »
I2P is the basis, the network that I2Phex and the other programs are running on.

Assuming you're on Windows,
http://dev.i2p.net/i2p/i2pinstall.exe
is the one to go for (the other files are for Linux users).

Alright cool, but...

The latest I2Phex releases are available here :
http://forum.i2p.net/viewforum.php?f=25&sid=9b896903cf0ccd481aaef39fff6693f7

Is that the latest for windows or linux? That page won't load though.

Syndie is here :
http://syndie.i2p.net/download.html

and I2Psnark is already built into I2P; it can be reached via the console.

And Syndie is....?

Offline ankern

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
forum.i2p.net is up again, and Syndie is .... : http://syndie.i2p.net/index.html

Offline echelon

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2008, 04:48:08 PM »
HI!

Just to note:

http://www.i2p2.de
is the official I2P website for 8 month now...

echelon