Author Topic: 12th June, 2009 - Freenet 0.7.5 released!  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
12th June, 2009 - Freenet 0.7.5 released!
« on: June 13, 2009, 08:36:46 AM »
Quote from http://freenetproject.org
The Freenet Project is very pleased to announce the release of Freenet 0.7.5.

Freenet is free software designed to allow the free exchange of information over the Internet without fear of censorship, or reprisal. To achieve this Freenet makes it very difficult for adversaries to reveal the identity, either of the person publishing, or downloading content. The Freenet project started in 1999, released Freenet 0.1 in March 2000, and has been under active development ever since.

Freenet is somewhat unusual in that you can publish content to Freenet, and then disconnect from the network. This content will remain available to other Freenet users, although it may eventually be deleted if nobody is interested in it. Freenet will copy and move the content around the network according to demand, making it very difficult for an adversary to remove content. Freenet will automatically create more copies of popular content to ensure that it will always be available.

Freenet 0.7 introduced the "darknet" concept, allowing users to only connect to their trusted friends (and through them to their friends' friends, and the entire network), greatly reducing their vulnerability to attack. You can use Freenet even if you don't know any other Freenet users, it just won't be as secure.

Freenet 0.7.5 features major improvements to performance and usability, as well as improvements to security and robustness. In particular:

* Freenet now uses a database to store longer-term data that must survive a restart. This increases Freenet's speed and reduces its memory usage. In particular, you can now have almost any number of downloads and uploads in progress without worrying about memory usage.
    * Improvements to the web interface make it clearer what you can do with Freenet, show progress when loading a page or file will take more than a few seconds, integrate search into the browse page, and generally improve usability in many areas.
    * Significantly improved performance for inserting and retrieving files and especially pages, and also for Freenet's initial connection to the network.
    * A new installer for Windows which works with Vista as well as Windows XP/2000 (Freenet also works on Mac and Linux systems).
    * Many other optimizations.
    * Lots and lots of bug fixes!

There are versions of Freenet 0.7.5 for Windows, Mac, and Linux. They can be downloaded from:

http://freenetproject.org/download.html

If you have any difficulty getting Freenet to work, or any questions not answered in the  faq, please join us on IRC in the #freenet channel at irc.freenode.net, or email the support mailing list. If you have any suggestions for how to improve Freenet, please visit our uservoice page.

There is a lot of work still to do on Freenet, particularly when it comes to ease of use. If you have Java programming or web design skills, or would like to help translate Freenet into your own language, and would like to help us improve Freenet, please join our development mailing list and introduce yourself.

Try it! Freenet has now much improvements compared to the versions some years ago!

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline yg_lover

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: 12th June, 2009 - Freenet 0.7.5 released!
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2009, 02:21:16 PM »
It's really safe and anonymous? I think that I will give a try
I need to setup an anonymous website
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 02:28:13 PM by yg_lover »

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2009, 04:26:18 PM »
It's really safe and anonymous? I think that I will give a try
I need to setup an anonymous website
Yes, Freenet provides high anonymity and is well suited for storing a censorfree statical website. When you have your Freenet node running, open your browser, surf to http://localhost:8888 and test it! There's a Howto for anonymous websites on Freenet (called Freesites): Freesite HOWTO (Link works only with a running Freenet node).

It's not possible to provide dynamic websites (scripts like PHP) or websites with embedded applets (the anonymity filter in Freenet disables such anonymity risks). If you can host your own website with high availability and you need a dynamic website, then you have to look for I2P (it's anonymous websites are called Eepsites) or Tor (anonymous services on Tor are called Hidden Services).

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline yg_lover

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2009, 07:24:07 PM »
Today I have tried freenet and it's very good.
Thank you for infos, my site has simple .htm pages so Freenet is good for me.

I don't have friend nodes so security is set to "normal"  :-\

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »
I don't have friend nodes so security is set to "normal"  :-\

That's not a problem. You're enough anonymous in the Opennet mode. At least when you use Freenet in a more or less censor-free country with freedom of speech/expression.

The "Friend-to-Friend"-network disables simple node harvesting. This approach is for paranoid persons ( ;D) or for people in bad countries like China where running such a P2P-software is a big risk. An attacker has to infiltrate the social network behind this "Friend-to-Friend"-network for monitoring or switch off Freenet (in Opennet mode an attacker can simply run a node for node harvesting and monitoring/attacking the participating nodes).

Happy surfing on Freenet! (It takes some time... ;D)

Greetings,
Nemo.