Author Topic: Java version  (Read 4828 times)

Offline dsoslglece

• Regular
    • View Profile
Java version
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:02 AM »
Hi...
Having changed from PPC Tiger to iMac-Intel Leopard, I tried to lauch Ants, and got a message that it needs java 1.3.1...
a very old version indeed... (the oldest version of java I have is 1.5...) How is this possible ? isn't Ant keeping with java updates ?
or maybe there are some possibilities to find different versions of Ants... I did get my new ants from the installer since I guess it got the latest version available...

Some idea ?... Thanks

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Java version
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 11:22:45 AM »
I don't know if AntsP2P is still under development and if there are still active nodes. The last release was in January 2008.

A note about Java on the AntsP2P-Website:
NOTE: We decided to move the ANts network to the newest (and stablest) java release jre1.5 so please UPGRADE!

The newest Release files are here: http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=106782&package_id=136701

Which Java virtual machine do you have installed? (What's the output of "java -version" on the console?)
A big problem with actual Java programms: They run well on Sun's JRE, but not really on open source variants like GCJ or Kaffe... I don't know if this is still a problem.
(Ubuntu Linux installs OpenJDK as default, with this JVM it's not possible to run actual software like I2P or other...  :()

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline Flik

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009, 10:02:48 AM »
Ants asks after start if I like to use Java 1.5. I say yes and everything is working very well, on a MacBook and on a iMac too. The only thing I am really sad about is that the Ants p2p project seems to be completely abandoned. This is a shame I think because the Ants p2p project was quite interesting. Unfortunately there is no working Mac version of the very well developed stealthnet project, so Ants p2p is still the best choice for anonymous p2p for the Apple Macintosh.

Offline rb2k

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009, 12:07:00 PM »
Ants asks after start if I like to use Java 1.5. I say yes and everything is working very well, on a MacBook and on a iMac too. The only thing I am really sad about is that the Ants p2p project seems to be completely abandoned. This is a shame I think because the Ants p2p project was quite interesting. Unfortunately there is no working Mac version of the very well developed stealthnet project, so Ants p2p is still the best choice for anonymous p2p for the Apple Macintosh.

Oneswarm (http://oneswarm.cs.washington.edu/) has a mac version...