Author Topic: Waste 2.0?  (Read 2814 times)

Offline bongnoise

• View Profile
Waste 2.0?
« on: November 28, 2008, 01:40:04 AM »
are there any plans for a WASTE 2.0? in order for this app to realize its full potential as a tool for anonymous collaboration drastic changes would have to be made to the underlying network that could not preserve compatibility with previous revisions. the current design is a proof of concept, not a finished product. what WASTE needs is an organized push in the right direction, away from the crowd of competing file sharing networks and back to its original intent as a tool for secure communication anywhere in the world over the public internet.

with the changes in the world climate and drastic measures of censorship being taken against the growing freedom of the internet, this sort of tool must not fade away. don't just think of it as preserving your own free speech, and the free speech of your children. think of it as providing a window through the previously impassable walls of class, race, geographical location, financial wealth... when people can speak freely, they can learn freely, and they can teach freely. the world doesn't need help sharing its media content, the world needs help securing its freedom.

as far as file sharing goes, WASTE has far more potential as a private top-level bittorrent tracker than as a direct file transfer method. imagine, hop on WASTE and download a small torrent file, then let your favorite torrent app do the heavy lifting. why reinvent the wheel? i propose the following for a WASTE 2.0 release, and if nobody wants to help with it i might just do it myself.

- full unicode and localization support, externalize all text messages in a modular fashion to allow future users to publish language packs
 - preserve existing file transfer mechanism while improving search, especially in depth indexing/searching of .torrent files
 - integration with popular proxy and torrent applications for increased security and flexibility in transferring large files outside the mesh
 - remove old global broadcast chat protocol and use entirely encrypted communications. 1-to-1 chat is already implemented, i designed a protocol for encrypted chatrooms with virtual private keys but never fully implemented

comments, questions, suggestions?

Offline bongnoise

• View Profile
Re: Waste 2.0?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 07:13:30 PM »
@crypton: i cant seem to use PMs on this board so heres my reply, thanks for the info but i'm not looking for helpers, too many cooks spoil the pot. i've posted this thread on the wasteagain sourceforge project forums as well. (https://sourceforge.net/forum/forum.php?forum_id=777235)

think of this post as a Request For Comments, i'm trying to get in touch with my old friends from the early days of the nullnet and also the new members of the WASTE community. i want to give everybody a chance to comment on my thoughts, 1.6 was just to show a flaw in the messaging and wasn't ready for release. i want to have an open discussion this time and decide on the best direction for WASTE to go
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 07:39:36 PM by bongnoise »