Author Topic: some question about datastore  (Read 3629 times)

Offline mymybib

• View Profile
some question about datastore
« on: October 01, 2008, 09:27:57 AM »
Hi,

I have some question about datastore.

When I upload a file in offsystem and when i disperse the file, my client take some block of other file, mix the block with my file and upload the new block in the global datastore.

Is it true ?

If I upload the file an other time, the software take other block and upload new content in the global datastore ?

When I upload a file without disperse the file, the file is push into my datastore or the file stay out of my datastore waiting for somebody want to download it ?

If not, I think that may be a great to reduce the load of the network.

How many file are put in the network and never download ?

I think that the global size of datastore is the most important problem in offsystem and many block are lost so download could never finish. If download could finish more often, more people will use offsystem and the network will be better and better.

It's the same problem than freenet. Some of my friend use freenet, with a 2 Go datastore and try to put in the network 60 Go of data !

Have you some tips to manage the my datastore ?

When file are "preserved", my client keep all the block needed to retrive the file in my computer, ready to upload the block to other people ?  What's happen if I want to keep more data than the size of my cache directory ?

Offline ju.ri

• View Profile
Re: some question about datastore
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2008, 11:06:19 AM »

When I upload a file in offsystem and when i disperse the file, my client take some block of other file, mix the block with my file and upload the new block in the global datastore.

Is it true ?

the block mixing/creating happens only once, when you "store" a file into off. blocks are first stored locally. then you can either "disperse" them, which means pushing them to other nodes, or not.

If I upload the file an other time, the software take other block and upload new content in the global datastore ?

blocks are created only once, when you "store" the file.

When I upload a file without disperse the file, the file is push into my datastore or the file stay out of my datastore waiting for somebody want to download it ?

when you store a file the blocks are inserted in your local cache at first. then they can get distributed automatically when  other peolple request the blocks or you can forcefully push them into the network by "dispersing"

If not, I think that may be a great to reduce the load of the network.

How many file are put in the network and never download ?

if you dont disperse them it works just like that.

I think that the global size of datastore is the most important problem in offsystem and many block are lost so download could never finish. If download could finish more often, more people will use offsystem and the network will be better and better.

part of the problem is like in any other p2p system that people insert stuff and go offline before everyone has the data.
Have you some tips to manage the my datastore ?
be careful with storing big files. the local cache tends to grow fast :)
"preserve" the URLs hat you want to keep sharing, that ways the blocks are always kept as a backup on your node. delete the other URLs, because they show up in people's searches but the blocks might not be available.

When file are "preserved", my client keep all the block needed to retrive the file in my computer, ready to upload the block to other people ?

yes.

What's happen if I want to keep more data than the size of my cache directory ?

cache will automatically grow if you store or download. there's an option for this in the preferences.

Offline mymybib

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2008, 05:55:10 PM »
thanks you. Perfect.

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2008, 07:36:27 AM »

blocks are created only once, when you "store" the file.
Another question to this topic: If a file is stored more than one time, does OFF take other blocks resulting in more than one OFF-URL for this file?
Once I saw a file in OFF's search results with two entries: the filename was identical, the filesize was identical, but the OFF-Hash was different. Is it possible that this file was stored two times or are these two different files with the same bytesize?

Thanks.

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline ju.ri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2008, 10:12:24 AM »
Another question to this topic: If a file is stored more than one time, does OFF take other blocks resulting in more than one OFF-URL for this file?
Once I saw a file in OFF's search results with two entries: the filename was identical, the filesize was identical, but the OFF-Hash was different. Is it possible that this file was stored two times or are these two different files with the same bytesize?

either one can be true. if you store a file twice, off creates new blocks and a new URL.

so it is wise to keep the blocks for your URLs locally ("preserve"), because if some blocks get lost in the network they are still on your node and you dont have to store again.
hmm. another way might be "repair from file" (URL list contextmenu), haven't tried that.