Author Topic: [HowTo] ANts behind a router  (Read 15099 times)

Offline StyxTux

• View Profile
[HowTo] ANts behind a router
« on: November 23, 2004, 10:03:44 AM »
How to connect to the ANts-Network while behind a router?
You're behind a router and ANt's keeps on giving you a red message saying "Your Firewall is up or you are behind a NAT! Please check it!"? Then this HowTo is for you.
I did a long and a short version of this How-To. The contents are basically the same, yet the long version contains some explanations.
Happy configuring...

This HowTo is also available in German.

Short version:
Preparations
    1. Static or dynamic IP?
    If static -> continue at 2. Forward ports
    If dynamic: Get a dynamic DNS address e.g. at www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com (both free). Also get a client!!!
    2. Forward ports
    Forward the ports 4567 and 4568. Alternatively, you can use other ports, but they have to be direct neighbours (n, n+1)
    3. Configure firewall
    If you're running a firewall, open ports 4567 and 4568 (or whichever you use)[/list:u]

Let's get started
      1. Start ANts
      2. If you chose other ports than 4567 and 4568, change the setting for 4567 to your new port n. The n+1 port is set automatically.
      3. Click on "Settings", go to the "Settings"-Tab . In the textbox labelled "IP or Hostname" enter your static IP or your DNS address. DO NOT HIT ENTER! That brings back your local LAN IP! Check "Remember IP/Hostname" instead.
      4. Go back to the Tab on the very left to get back to the start window. Click on "Start ANts". [/list:u]
    -DONE-
    After a while (be patient) the IRC should start up, some time after that you should get a blue message "Your Firewall is correctly set!". Sooner or later (depends on the amount of online users) you'll get connected.

-END OF THE SHORT VERSION-

Long version
    Preparations
      1. Static or dynamic IP?
        Why?
        ANts needs to be able to access your client. This is typically done by your IP address. Your IP is recognized automatically. If your behind a router, however, ANts recognizes your local LAN IP (e.g. 192.168.x.x). To become a fully-fledged node in the ANts network, ANts needs to know your external IP. This is an easy job for those of you who have a static IP, you simply enter it (see below). If you have a dynamic IP, your external IP changes from time to time. You have to tell ANts when you IP changes and what your new IP is (see below).
        How to find out if you have a static or dynamic IP?
        If you don't know whether you have a static or dynamic IP, you probably have a dynamic one. :wink: If in doubt, check with your ISP.[/list:u]
        2a. If you have a static IP: you just need to know it, e.g. at checkip.dyndns.org. Continue at 4. Forward Ports

2b. If you hava a dynamic IP: Get a DNS adress
          As stated above, ANts needs a static, external adress to access your computer correctly. Your IP is dynamic, so it's not an option. So you have to get a DNS address. This is an adress in form of e.g. "yourusername.dyndns.org". You can get a DNS adress for free at
        www.dyndns.org or www.no-ip.com. When signing up, your new DNS adress is already pointing to your present IP (at least this is true for dyndns.org...).[/list:u]
        3. If you hava a dynamic IP: Configure your DNS adress
          OK, your DNS adress points to your IP, but that IP is still going to change. Your DNS address has to be updated regularly. This is done by clients, i.e. programs that run on your computer and update your DNS adress when neccessary.
          A list of clients for various OSes can be found at
        http://www.dyndns.org/services/dyndns/clients.html.
        Please understand that I can't help you with setting up the clients. There are just too many of them. Get the infos on the net. If you managed to configure your client correctly, please post a little HowTo in this forum, so other can benefit of it.[/list:u]
        4. Forward ports
          ANts communicates with other nodes via ports 4567 and 4568. You have to forward these ports from your router to your computer. You can use other ports, but they have to be direct neighbours (n, n+1).[/list:u]
        5. Configure Firewall
          If you're running a firewall, oben the ports 4567 and 4568 (or whichever you use). Users of the Windoze XP-Firewall can take a look at
        this Link, though I don't know if that is any good (I don't use Windows).[/list:u]
        [/list:u]
        Let's get started
          1. Start ANts
          2. If you chose other ports than 4567 and 4568, change the setting for 4567 to your new port n. The n+1 port is set automatically.
          3. Click on "Settings", go to the "Settings"-Tab . In the textbox labelled "IP or Hostname" enter your static IP or your DNS address. DO NOT HIT ENTER! That brings back your local LAN IP! Check "Remember IP/Hostname" instead.
          4. Go back to the Tab on the very left to get back to the start window. Click on "Start ANts". [/list:u]
        -DONE-
        After a while (be patient) the IRC should start up, some time after that you should get a blue message "Your Firewall is correctly set!". Sooner or later (depends on the amount of online users) you'll get connected.

If this is your first time using ANts, I recommend the tutorial at  the official ANts website.

--END OF LONG VERSION--

Hope this was some help. If you have any corrections or proposals, please post them, so this HowTo can improve.
        Oh, and just in case my English is incorrect, post corrections, too, and excuse me. Not my native language...

CU
        StyxTux

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
        • Elite
          • View Profile
        Well done!
        « Reply #1 on: November 23, 2004, 08:15:16 PM »
        This is a very nice work! :-) Big Respect!  8)

Greetings,
        Nemo.

Offline FANt

• Planet Peer Community
          • View Profile
        Re: [HowTo] ANts behind a router
        « Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 03:11:57 PM »
        Update: now ANts use only TCP port 443