Author Topic: Search only one than nothing ???  (Read 2504 times)

Offline Terrorizer

• Regular
    • View Profile
Search only one than nothing ???
« on: November 25, 2007, 09:50:06 AM »
I just started OFF's latest version, but if i search something i get a huge of founds, if i try to start another search i get no results !!! When i start OFF new than i can do another "one" search !!!
Is this right, or do i something wrong ???
If i start OFF i can do only one search per session !!!

Offline OFF-meister

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: Search only one than nothing ???
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 01:30:12 PM »
That is strange behavior? You should be able to do multiple searches and the results should open in separate tabs.

Could you tell me which version you are running? Maybe we messed something up.

Offline Terrorizer

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:46:50 PM »
That is strange behavior? You should be able to do multiple searches and the results should open in separate tabs.

Could you tell me which version you are running? Maybe we messed something up.

...I'm using version 0.17.09 !!!

Offline OFF-meister

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:34:36 PM »
...I'm using version 0.17.09 !!!
Sorry. I meant Windows, Linux or Mac? We have been seeing some weirdness between the platforms occasionally.

Offline OFF-meister

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2007, 03:58:50 AM »
OK, what seems to be happening is that there is some *reverse caching* going on. It was originally a bandwidth saving hack but seems to need some adjusting.

When you issue a search, it actually goes out to the other nodes multiple times. This gives the other nodes a chance to relay the search to still more nodes. On the first request the node returns the matches it has to you, and then *remembers* which URLs it has sent to you so it doesn't repeat itself. I then relays the search to other nodes, which return URLs back. On the second request received, the node only returns any new results to you *remembering* them as well. It *remembers* for about 30 minutes.

If you quit and restart OFF within this time period. (You spotted a bug!!) It resets your search counters thus confusing the other nodes. They think they have already send you all their results, so they don't return anything.

For the moment, if you wait about 30-60 minutes, everything should return to normal. Or weirdly enough, if you do enough search attempts, you will exceed the previous search counter and the nodes will begin responding to you again.

Thanks to you, we will fix this bug in the next release. We appreciate the help!