Author Topic: Is ANts p2p Dead?  (Read 7104 times)

Offline ezzye

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
Is ANts p2p Dead?
« on: November 04, 2007, 08:08:04 AM »
I have worked long and hard to update Ants p2p so that it works how Gwren intended.

I have had only minimal support from the anonymous p2p community.

Maybe it is time to give up.

I need help testing the latest ANts p2p II.

Please try this as I need some feed back to continue with development.

NEW IMPROVED DARGENS

Dargens now has NAT/firewall hole punching, is encrypted and needs no set-up whatsoever. It also does multi-source downloading.

You can create your own private network just by sharing URLs or join a large network and still download privately.

So get connected and share your life online.

Site works like a private tracker but you contol who you connect to so no need to trade invites.

Still beta, open source see code http://code.google.com/p/kerjodando/ .

A friend to friend network where you can download from everyone not just your friends.

Couple of draw backs:
(1) Uses Java (but does not seem to work for Macs or Linux);
(2) Public network is for sharing non-copyright / user created content e.g. new unsigned bands;
(3) Privately you can share anything with friends/family .

HOW TO USE

1)Go to dargens see http://www.dargens.com/ and click on a network (click on image in TV) or

2)Set up new swarm (a private file sharing network), "Make a New Swarm Page" - see bottom right of home page. No need to register.

3)Make a note of the swarm page url (web address) - write it down so that you can get back to it - that is your SECRET private key into YOUR private file sharing network.
(You may need to refresh page to see the new swarm page.)

4)Click start to download and launch client kerjodando (java needed, open source).

5)Get your friends and their friends to go to that page (email them the link) and tell them what to do.

6)Only people who know your private swarm page web address can connect to you.

See development blog at http://kerjodando.blogspot.com/ (a mod of  ants p2p)

Offline hummel

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Is ANts p2p Dead?
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2007, 04:32:49 PM »
Ok, I just tried it and got approx. 1000 results when searching for mp3. Download is ranging from 5 to 200 kbytes/sec. Overall I downloaded more than 10mb in less than 10 min. which is quite fast. Although I apparently had 3 direct connections, all of them were connections to the same ip address. Is this an intended feature or an error?

I really doubt whether there are currently enough users to assess Dargens. The high download rate I sometimes had gives me the impression that my connections were all direct. But I don't know.
Maybe more uf us should give Dargens a real try.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2007, 04:39:06 PM by hummel »

Offline ezzye

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 07:47:23 PM »
Please please can some of you techies help me out and test this thing.

It is fast (as fast as bit torrent)

It is anonymous (as anonymous as ANts p2p cos it is ANts p2p)

And it is Web 2.0 based on Ruby on Rails web tech.

ANts is not dead me and my team have looked at every line of code and have solved all the major issues.

We still have a lot to develop like the Audio Glaxy Web Gui but we are adding more week by week.

Go to dargens http://www.dargens.com/  or see blog http://kerjodando.blogspot.com/2007/11/download-free-mp3s-anonymous-p2p-friend.html

Thanks

Ez
Free speech only exits at the edge.

Offline ezzye

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 02:10:01 PM »
Dargens updated.

You can now add shared directory direct from search page.

www.Dargens.com

Offline Flik

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2008, 12:47:28 PM »
"I have worked long and hard to update Ants p2p so that it works how Gwren intended. I have had only minimal support from the anonymous p2p community. Maybe it is time to give up."

I am still a bit confused. Your Ants 2 project where I have to click on a strange web site on a also strange link looks as if it has not too much to do with Ants (?). I think the actual version of Ants is 1.6.0 and the GUI - wich should be improved - looks like I would expect from a p2p GUI. There are several "Ants" that are named "Ants" but they seem to be very different (Ants 2, Kerjandoojo, JetiAnts). Unfortunately, I lost the overview about all this "Ants" and which the latest and the original project is. Gwen´s site still doesn´t know about verison 1.6.0.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 12:51:33 PM by Flik »