Author Topic: MUTE - No IP at bottom?  (Read 4649 times)

Offline benkmann

• View Profile
MUTE - No IP at bottom?
« on: August 16, 2007, 04:01:00 AM »
hey all,

installed Mute on my macbook, set it up according to the "Quick Guide".  It worked great, at first.  I saw the IP addresses at the bottom of the Connections tab Mute was trying to connect to.  Now though, I only see a grey bar, so I don't think it's properly connecting anymore.  hm, looking back in the log I see a bunch of "found no hosts to connect to." 

i'm behind a firewall, etc the works.  any ideas on why this grey bar appeared, and why Mute can't find any hosts to connect to?

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
Re: MUTE - No IP at bottom?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2007, 06:38:40 AM »
i'm behind a firewall, etc the works.  any ideas on why this grey bar appeared, and why Mute can't find any hosts to connect to?
It is not unlikely that there are (no more) active nodes in the MUTE network. There are some simple reasons for this: first, there are just two or three working web caches left. If they are going down you wonīt be able to connect to the MUTE network any longer. Second, compared with two years ago a lot of users left the MUTE network because MUTE is not longer under active development and lacks some features which newer anonymous networks or p2p applications have (StealthNet, for instance).

Cheers,
Markus

Offline camper

• Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2007, 03:55:26 PM »
I tried steathnet, and was very dissapointed, it is slow and offers very little(less files ans so much slower), compared to mute.
May be mute isnt upgraded but it still offers for quite a lot of anonymous up and downloaders the best solution.
If you know a better one in speed and files  please let me and others know.
cheers

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2007, 05:57:23 PM »
I tried steathnet, and was very dissapointed, it is slow and offers very little(less files ans so much slower), compared to mute.
Right now I am comparing some download and search results from both candidates:

MUTE: a search for audio files yields a few hundred results
StealthNet: a search for audio files yields more then 3300 results

Download times:

I started a test download in both clients.

MUTE: While one download was shown with 640 Bytes/second, several downloads had download rates within a range from 48-67 Bytes/second(!)
StealthNet: Overall download rate for several downloads is nearly 80 Kilobits.

@all: Please note that the search results and the download rates depends on a lot of variable factors, like the routes, hops and number of peers per network.

May be mute isnt upgraded but it still offers for quite a lot of anonymous up and downloaders the best solution.
Keep the test results in mind when you talk about the best solution. ;)

MUTE isnīt a bad solution at all, but I personally prefer anonymous networks and/or clients which are under active development. What if a security flaw is detected in MUTE? Who will fix it? Jason? Do you really think that he will fix it asap within 24 hours or a couple of days?

I donīt.

Cheers,
Markus