Author Topic: A question about file sharing in i2phex  (Read 3597 times)

Offline Electro Squid

• View Profile
A question about file sharing in i2phex
« on: February 20, 2007, 09:15:30 PM »
When you guys say you can share files with i2p anonymously, do you mean that I2Phex shares files over it's bittorent thing/plugin/module/whatever? Or is there a way were i2p users just share files through the i2p network?

I also don't fully understand what else i2p does, when i use it i know it says i can browse the internet, but would i be browsing anonymously or what?

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
Re: A question about file sharing in i2phex
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:27:47 PM »
When you guys say you can share files with i2p anonymously, do you mean that I2Phex shares files over it's bittorent thing/plugin/module/whatever? Or is there a way were i2p users just share files through the i2p network?
Well, there are several methods to share files over I2P anonymously:

1. BitTorrent over I2P (BToI2P)

- Needs special trackers within the I2P network and is not compatible to standard BT trackers

2. i2phex

- Is an adopted Gnutella client for the I2P network

3. Syndie

- Although I did not test it yet you can also share files with Syndie

4. Hidden websites aka eespites

- There are some websites (eepsites) within the I2P network who offer files

I also don't fully understand what else i2p does, when i use it i know it says i can browse the internet, but would i be browsing anonymously or what?
I2P is an anonymizing layer for other programs which run on-top on I2P like i2phex. It provides anonymous access to the "normal" internet, however since there are only a small numbers of outproxies for this purpose this feature is often not reliable enough.

If you want to browse websites anonymously I would recommand Tor.

Cheers,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus