Author Topic: n00b scratchting his n00b head.  (Read 5617 times)

Offline leke

• View Profile
n00b scratchting his n00b head.
« on: February 10, 2007, 03:34:15 PM »
Hi, I just got mute going but the whole thing is confusing the hell out of me. It's a great idea though and I'm dieing to master it. I'm using MFC MUTE v0.0.7 on WinXP with ZoneArarm Pro Firewall. My net connection is about 28kbps (downloading and uploading).
My firewall is on learning mode and I was asked about sending and receiving some stuff with mute which I allowed. After about half an hour I got connected. It might have had something to do with updating the webhostcaches.ini but I only needed to add http://mcache.tehmute.my3rdplace.net/mcache.php to the list.

here is some info from the log (I masked the ip address)...

L2 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:17 2007 (13 ms) | SecureStreamFactory | Failed to receive their public key
L4 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:17 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Adding a connection failed.
L4 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:17 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to add a new connection.
L4 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:17 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Trying to connect to 125.201.***.**:6346
L4 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:22 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Timed out connecting to host.
L2 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:22 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Connection failed to 125.201.***.**:6346
L4 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:22 2007 (13 ms) | ConnectionMaintainer | Adding a connection failed.

Could someone tell me what the failed attempts mean?

I have checked the wikki faq but I'm still scratching my head. There seems to be something good there called RShare but its in German (i think). Is there something like this tutorial about the settings and what they mean in English?

Thanks.

Offline muteblaster

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
Re: n00b scratchting his n00b head.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2007, 05:09:37 PM »
probably the problem is the firewall........zone allarm do same problem whith p2p in general.....

i think the firewall about this error :

L2 | Sat Feb 10 16:53:17 2007 (13 ms) | SecureStreamFactory | Failed to receive their public key

........ :) 

Offline Lars

• Elite
  • RShare/StealthNet Developer
    • View Profile
    • regensburger.name
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:33:28 PM »
There seems to be something good there called RShare but its in German (i think). Is there something like this tutorial about the settings and what they mean in English?

Indeed RShare is developed by a German but its GUI is in English.

Offline leke

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 06:12:20 PM »
Taken from SourceForge: "RShare is a new anonymous peer to peer network, that provides simple search und ;D fast download."
If its a different (new) p2p network, how come its on the Mute wiki?

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 07:55:49 PM »
Taken from SourceForge: "RShare is a new anonymous peer to peer network, that provides simple search und ;D fast download."
If its a different (new) p2p network, how come its on the Mute wiki?
@leke:

This is due to historical reasons. A few years ago it was in fact a MUTE-only related Wiki, but in the meantime it isnīt any longer. For this reason you will find How toīs and information concerning other programs like RShare also in the Planet Peer Wiki.

Cheers,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 08:03:28 PM »
After about half an hour I got connected. It might have had something to do with updating the webhostcaches.ini but I only needed to add http://mcache.tehmute.my3rdplace.net/mcache.php to the list.
It might be a good idea to add some more web caches just in fact that the one you specified does not work properly.

It seems at least for me that MUTE MFC tries to bootstrap to the network but doesn´t find peer IP addresses to establish a connection.

I have checked the wikki faq but I'm still scratching my head. There seems to be something good there called RShare but its in German (i think). Is there something like this tutorial about the settings and what they mean in English?
There is an english section for RShare also: http://www.planetpeer.de/wiki/index.php/RShare_%28English%29

Just in case MUTE MFC does not work for you I can highly recommend RShare. It is under active development and attracts more and more users each day. If I were you I would give it a try...;D

Cheers,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline leke

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 08:24:32 AM »
It seems at least for me that MUTE MFC tries to bootstrap to the network but doesnīt find peer IP addresses to establish a connection.
So peoples ip addresses are cached on the server when they use mute. When you connect, mute looks up these addresses on the server and tries to connect to them, but if the user isn't using mute at that time then the request is bounced. Is this right? :P

Thanks, I'll try RShare as well.

It seems strange to me that people are still using bittorrent when there are safer technologies available.

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 04:14:41 PM »
So peoples ip addresses are cached on the server when they use mute. When you connect, mute looks up these addresses on the server and tries to connect to them, but if the user isn't using mute at that time then the request is bounced. Is this right? :P
In short: When you start your MUTE client it tries to connect to one of the MUTE Web Caches which stores ip addresses from other previously connected clients. However, if all those clients are offline after you fetched an ip address from the cache you will not be able to join the MUTE network.

Thanks, I'll try RShare as well.
A wise decision...;D Please note that the recent RShare version has download resuming temporarily turned off. This feature will be available again in RShare 0.7.2.

It seems strange to me that people are still using bittorrent when there are safer technologies available.
Most people care only about download speed and not about privacy, security and anonymity ;)

Cheers,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus