Author Topic: Freenet Cannot determine External IP Address  (Read 7302 times)

Offline FNQ

• View Profile
Freenet Cannot determine External IP Address
« on: November 10, 2006, 09:45:09 PM »
I have given Freenet my external IP 15 times in two different ways.  I have forwarded the proper ports on my router.   But Freenet still refuses to acknowledge it and it still cannot find it.   I DID NOT give it 192.168.0.etc   I gave it my real, external, static IP address, and pressed the APPLY button.

It continues to come back with this error:

"Unknown external address
Freenet was unable to determine your external IP address (or the IP address of your NAT-device or firewall). You can still exchange references with other people, however this will only work if the other user is not behind a NAT-device or firewall. As soon as you have connected to one other user in this way, Freenet will be able to determine your external IP address. You can determine your current IP address and tell your node with the “Temporary IP Address Hint” configuration parameter.
"

I followed all of these directions to the T, and nothing. It still comes up.

What should I do now?  Please help me!

Offline cs301

• Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Freenet Cannot determine External IP Address
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2006, 10:37:48 PM »
are you connected by a cable-connection? maybe your provider has a restricted cone NAT, then you can't do anything. i was behind such a NAT for a long time; static but no public ip. i couldn't use any p2p tool which doesn't support NAT traversal. (i never had tested freenet in this time)

i feel with you ;)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2006, 10:40:09 PM by cs301 »
CSpace-ID: 1683
Jabber-ID: cs301@swissjabber.ch

Offline FNQ

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2006, 11:34:14 PM »
are you connected by a cable-connection? maybe your provider has a restricted cone NAT, then you can't do anything. i was behind such a NAT for a long time; static but no public ip. i couldn't use any p2p tool which doesn't support NAT traversal. (i never had tested freenet in this time)

Isn't this what STUN is for?  I know the installer placed STUN on my machine somewhere.   What do you suggest?

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:43:21 AM »
It continues to come back with this error:

"Unknown external address [...]
Do you have connections to other Freenet peers? I think the error message should disappear if your Freenet node could establish some connections to other Freenet nodes.

Greetings,
Nemo.