Author Topic: MFC-MUTE v0.0.7 RELEASED 10-12-2005  (Read 15348 times)

Offline jrocnuck

• Regular
  • MUTE MFC Developer
    • View Profile
MFC-MUTE v0.0.7 RELEASED 10-12-2005
« on: October 12, 2005, 04:00:10 AM »
-peace out...

keep it real,
JROC...

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
Re: MFC-MUTE v0.0.7 RELEASED 10-12-2005
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 06:50:16 AM »
Nice :) What´s new in this release?

CU,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »
What´s new?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- version 0.0.7 -- 10-11-2005 release:------------------------------------------------------------
--- explanation of fixes/additions/alterations
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Per coding help and motivation from Defnax and MCoder:
a-> Changed tabs to XP Theme aware tabs.
b-> Added status bar and removed old green/red bar from bottom of GUI.
c-> Added headings above list boxes with counts.
d-> Regrouped connections dialog controls
e-> Added lots of nice looking button graphics
2. Increased performance for hashing by increasing chunk sizes being passed to SHA1 routines.
3. Decreased the time between automated queue searches.
4. Moved string resources out of MS Visual Studio automated resource files. Now when new strings
are added, the file won't get automatically modified by the compiler IDE.
5. When manually searching for a file and attempting to restart the download of a queued download,
the remote HASH is also checked for a match against the queued file. If the hash matches,
then that file download is resumed immediately as long as the # of downloads from that VIP doesn't
exceed the max downloads from 1 VIP.

Cheers,
Markus

Offline muteblaster

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 12:31:02 PM »
What´s new?

--- version 0.0.7 -- 10-11-2005 release:------------------------------------------------------------
--- explanation of fixes/additions/alterations
1. Per coding help and motivation from Defnax and MCoder:
a-> Changed tabs to XP Theme aware tabs.
b-> Added status bar and removed old green/red bar from bottom of GUI.
c-> Added headings above list boxes with counts.
d-> Regrouped connections dialog controls
e-> Added lots of nice looking button graphics
2. Increased performance for hashing by increasing chunk sizes being passed to SHA1 routines.
3. Decreased the time between automated queue searches.
4. Moved string resources out of MS Visual Studio automated resource files. Now when new strings
are added, the file won't get automatically modified by the compiler IDE.
5. When manually searching for a file and attempting to restart the download of a queued download,
the remote HASH is also checked for a match against the queued file. If the hash matches,
then that file download is resumed immediately as long as the # of downloads from that VIP doesn't
exceed the max downloads from 1 VIP.

THENKYOU FOR YOUR WORK JROC........

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 05:43:51 PM »
this version is my favorite mute mfc client!

i like it! ;D

Offline tobiash

• Regular
  • If I can have it, you can have it too
    • View Profile
    • MyMute
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 07:31:35 PM »
this version is my favorite mute mfc client!

i like it! ;D

It is also the best so far! It is very nice GUI!

And to All you guy´s how work on Mute, I just want to say Thanks for and keep up the good work!
Truth is in the eye of the observer!

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:44 PM »
Although the GUI is well designed (good work, defnax :)) it seems that the MUTE network is shrinking instead of growing. People like JROC and Nate helped the MUTE network a lot with their clients, but I am just wondering if there happen a wonder one day. WTF for a wonder, you may asking? Well, the wonder of a new MUTE core with advanced features.

AFAIK the MUTE core is no longer under active development by Jason Rohrer and I doubt it will in the near future. :(

CU,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline submarine

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2005, 07:20:16 PM »
are there any reasons for you to claim that the mute network is currently shrinking or is it just some kind of gut feeling?

my personal feeling is quite the opposite: during the last few weeks i uploaded a lot of files to different people and i got shortly connected to a lot of nodes...

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2005, 08:57:30 PM »
I also don't feel like mute-net is shrinking. On average I upload about 100 files a day from my collection, and I download new and fun stuff from there all the time with the kommute client.

That said however, it sucks that Jason's not actively developing it anymore. I was having a conversation with Niels the other day about a cool feature to add into the kommute client, and he said it wasn't possible because the capability wasn't supported in the mute network architecture, which really made me think..That can't be the only thing that could be improved in the network itself to the benefit of all clients, maybe it's time to fork it or something, or at least get in touch with Jason and find out some way of working with him to get necessary stuff added without him having to do any work if he don't want to.

Or might it be possible for the project leaders who are actively developing clients based on MUTE to come up with cross-client communications standards that go beyond those set out in the core, that could be taken advantage of by any client and implemented in the client itself instead of the mute core. I dunno how backwards compatible that would be with unmodified clients or the original mute, but if development for mute itself has really stopped and there are needs for new stuff that can't be had by modifying a single clients' code, then maybe it would still be best?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 09:08:35 PM by Singularity »

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2005, 09:58:20 AM »
are there any reasons for you to claim that the mute network is currently shrinking or is it just some kind of gut feeling?
My criteria is the available content in an anonymous network and my feeling is that the network provided more content (audio/video/whatever) a couple of weeks before than it does as of now.

@all:

What is your feeling with the recent status of the MUTE network? Do you think it has more nodes than ever before? Or do you rather think it shrinks?

CU,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2005, 12:50:58 PM »
I believe that content is more important than the number of nodes, but that it's so hard to determine what is really needed.  Last week as I read on p2pnet's weekly top downloaded music section, I did a search on MUTE for every artist and track that was listed as most popular among filesharers, and my results showed only 2 tracks that were on the lists out of 30, and when I searched by artist it was only marginally better- around 12 artists out of 30 had any content at all on the network.

But who's to say that your average MUTE user even wants that content? I certainly don't, I'd never even heard of most of those 'top downloaded' bands (and after downloading some of the tracks, I can honestly say they all suck).  It shouldn't just be a question of how many nodes or how much content there is, but how much is that content in demand, and also, how useful to the network are those nodes that are there (can they route lots of traffic?)

I still maintain my opinion that there needs to be a gathering place for anonymous filesharers somewhere off of the anonymous networks for folks to post requests and have those requests filled on the networks, as it's just too difficult for a relatively small number of users to host all the necessary content to make a network as popular as possible. With an approach like that you get content on the network that is specifically needed by real users, instead of just making available whatever. Additionally it would give would-be users a chance to see what they're missing out on, which would be a potential boon to the network.

Sorry, I got off topic there. In short I feel that the network is always changing as is the content so it's hard to pin down if it's growing but it probably is. But we still need some simple changes in the MUTE core to really improve it, such as a capability to queue uploads when a node gets multiple requests from one host for downloads, so those uploads don't fail or stall out. Not to mention multisource, which would probably be best to be implemented in the core.

Offline muteblaster

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2005, 02:53:17 PM »

the stability in this program is realy inpossibol.......the  way to introduce a good multisource is the indipendent to the chunk.....when one chunk arrive is not important a previus chunk exist.......in the end of download send the lost chunk separetely....

but if your nod have  same inactivity there is a code for taim out for the pochet....but is necessary to exist it.....

Offline Polecat

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2005, 03:44:34 PM »
People with lots of files would like to share more than 1 directory ! Is that possible ?  O:)

Offline jrocnuck

• Regular
  • MUTE MFC Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2005, 05:18:34 AM »
sharing with more than one directory is possible..  it just requires work ... which means us lazy developers need some helping hands to implement some of this stuff so we can have regular lives like all the people using the program..

-peace out...

keep it real,
JROC...