Author Topic: i2phex 0.1.1.30 released  (Read 7022 times)

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
i2phex 0.1.1.30 released
« on: October 04, 2005, 03:28:31 PM »
Quote from: legion
Releasenotes for 0.1.1.30
New Feature - System Tray
Tweaks - Timings (thanks to striker) and other related tweaks.
Changes to Defaults - upload queuing now disabled by default.

As of this version, I managed to get the nsis installer working with the build process. So now there is a .exe installer for windows users, if they want it.

Downloads
Zipfile
FileSize in bytes 2242291
Hashes
Sha1 - 39C930A8E6CFD837D794AB37078B1755119EC6DA
Md5 - DE0FA1FE5839DBB466874B590AD216A6
link: http://legion.i2p/archives/i2phex_0.1.1.30.zip

Windows Installer
FileSize in bytes 2344515
Hashes
Sha1 - F9C1D8A2C4916184EDCAC248880DF895A550CC09
Md5 - ED47F095578DB8FF012B6BA88A2FFB6D
link: http://legion.i2p/archives/i2phex_0.1.1.30.exe

Source
FileSize in bytes 2136875
Hashes
Sha1 - EBEA6F0928C2E835FC38C27BECFA69ED8F96E707
Md5 - 904DCA73D5D9ED03F83C11EC78317CC2
link: http://legion.i2p/archives/i2phex_0.1.1.30.zip

Quote from: jrandom
Note that legion is NOT distributing i2phex 0.1.1.30. What is contained in the packages above are unknown code of unknown safety.

Legion has published binaries which verifiably did not match to the source accompanying several times, and has shown no intent of contributing to i2phex development, but forking instead. Legion has also refused to rename this fork, with the intent of further confusing users as to whether they are on the safe, open source version, or his untrusted version.

Obviously, using these binaries would be foolish. Beyond this warning, what steps should be made to minimize the damage of legion's hostile intent?
Hostile intent? Unknown code of unknown safety? Foolish?

From our viewpoint that post seems to be plenty hostile and maybe more than a little foolish. Seems aimed at confusing users and convincing them not to trust this release, based on past history, which can also indicate that he is dedicated to further developing the client.

Where is the proof? We've heard it before, though. Assumption of intent and hostility.

Whatever considering there is a significant difference between .27 and .30, forget it I'm using .30, foolish or not. I will be sure to report if I have any problems with it, or find anything bad.

Offline jrandom

• Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
Re: i2phex 0.1.1.30 released
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2005, 04:09:54 PM »
Hostile intent? Unknown code of unknown safety? Foolish?

If you have questions regarding my statements, perhaps it'd be better to address them to me so that I can reply. 

Unkown code and unknown safety should be self evident - it is unknown whether the code that built legion's binaries are the same as the code being shared.  Legion has released previous forks of i2phex and i2p-bt which even legion acknowledged as differing from the source distributed, "accidentally".

Hostile intent - I and others have discussed this issue with legion for hours on end each time it occurs.  The first time was last winter when legion released "i2p-bt 1.0", a closed source fork of duck's open source i2p-bt client.  After much discussion on irc, legion finally put out source, but the source released was not the same as what was shipped in the binary.  Legion's explanation was "oh, yeah, you also need to include smeghead's patch" (smeghead never made any patch, he merely said generally how to accomplish some change).  The same thing happened in i2phex 0.1.1.26 - files in the source did not match what was shipped in the binary.

Legion has obviously put in substantial effort into getting these updates out there, there is no question of that.  Still, legion persists at acting untrustworthy by hijacking sirup's name, confusing the user base, rather than contributing to sirup's i2phex project.  Since I and others have discussed this stuff with legion time and again, I cannot suspect incompetence.  What else other than malice could explain it?

Where is the proof?

Read the i2p forum, download what legion released (though he has, unsuprisingly, removed previous releases from legion.i2p.  for some unknown reason).  If you have further questions or require any clarification, I'd be glad to help.

Whatever considering there is a significant difference between .27 and .30, forget it I'm using .30, foolish or not. I will be sure to report if I have any problems with it, or find anything bad.

The danger with using security tools is that bad things are not necessarily self evident.  My job is to protect the security and anonymity of I2P users, which includes I2Phex users.  If I have reason to suspect that someone is releasing code that suggests danger, my job is to warn people with what I know. 

As I said before though, using the binaries would be foolish.  If you want to use the code in legion's fork, however, please examine it and build it from source.  In the past, legion has shown that the binaries published may not match the source accompanying it.

=jr

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2005, 07:28:02 PM »
Just checked the forums and it seem like you both have settled things. :D Would you say we can run and use 0.1.1.30 safely now or what?

Offline jrandom

• Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2005, 03:24:02 AM »
I'd recommend using I2Phex 0.1.1.31

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2005, 05:13:36 AM »
From checking the forums, I see there isn't much difference between the two. Makes me wonder why the version number was bumped up.

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2005, 07:02:17 AM »
Hi jrandom. I understand you're just trying to protect your userbase, and I for one appreciate it.   

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
Good news concerning i2phex development
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2005, 05:57:50 PM »
I found this piece of information on the last status notes from jrandom and thought it may be interesting for all i2phex users :)

* 2) i2phex

While some may have noticed the discussion on various forums
regarding i2phex and legion's fork, there has been additional
communication between myself and legion, and we're working on merging
the two back together.  More info on this when its available.

In addition, redzara is hacking away on merging i2phex with the
current phex release, and striker has come up with some further
improvements, so there's some exciting stuff coming down the pipe.

Cheers,
Markus

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2005, 07:36:10 PM »
From the i2p forums, it seems that 0.1.1.30 and the cvs import of it 0.1.1.31 are both working much better and are more responsive than before. When it comes to transfers things are going much smoother. Thanks to striker and legion, i2phex is now much better.

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2005, 08:01:00 PM »
As of now I have connections to more than six other i2phex nodes. This is way cool since it seems that the number of users and the content within the i2phex network are growing fast :)

CU,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline Polecat

• Regular
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2005, 08:20:11 PM »
Well i just downloaded it and it's working fine ! So my 85 GiB are online  :twisted:

Regards Polecat