Author Topic: GNUnet 0.7.0 released  (Read 7275 times)

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
GNUnet 0.7.0 released
« on: August 30, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
This is the first actual release since coding on the 0.7.x design started at the end of 2004. The 0.7.x design includes all of the changes that were in the discussion for a couple of years but were not implemented to maintain compatibility. The 0.6.x series implemented the original (2001) vision; the design for 0.7.x combines the experiences collected in that implementation with new research results. As a result, 0.7.0 includes many major changes and is completely incompatible with all 0.6.x releases. Please note that this is still a beta release; the first actually stable version will be called 1.0.0 and is likely to still be at least a year away. The new design has not yet been tested on a larger scale; there are still features missing, and a few minor bugs are also still present. Please report any bugs you find to mantis.
New important features in 0.7.0 (compared to 0.6.6b):
  • support for fragmentation of messages allows sending of up to 64k of data via UDP transport
  • transports can now be stream-based or message-based, allowing more efficient utilization of TCP and HTTP transports and reducing CPU utilization
  • improved, cleaner IPv6 support
  • data is encoded with the new ECRS encoding algorithm, allowing for 32k data fragments and variable-size, compressed metadata annotations including thumbnails
  • improved security guarantees that GNUnet can make with respect to intermediaries corrupting search results
  • sessionkey exchange protocol now uses an asymmetric pair of keys for improved security and more reliable session establishment
  • AES-256 replaces blowfish as the symmetric encryption
  • SHA-512 replaces RIPEMD160 as the hash function
  • SHA-512 replaces CRC32
  • GNUnet content URIs no longer carry a CRC32 code (simpler, SHA-512 gives enough room to guard against collisions)
  • alternative friend-to-friend topology allows restricting connections to friends only (peer-to-peer topology still available and used by default)
  • database reorganization improves IO performance; support for BDB, GDBM and TDB dropped (SQLite or MySQL now required)
  • interactive configuration of GNUnet with the gnunet-setup tool
  • easy migration to new versions of GNUnet thanks to gnunet-update (not able to migrate 0.6.x installations, though)
  • extended and enhanced plugin architecture (makes it even easier to add new protocols to GNUnet)
  • additional libraries and cleaner separation between user-interface and functional code (makes it almost trivial to write or improve GNUnet user interfaces)
  • glade-based gnunet-gtk user interface with clean MVC abstraction and plugin architecture (makes it easy to extend or modify the GUI); the new interface is much cleaner and more powerful
  • file-sharing user interface (FSUI) library keeps track of active searches and downloads and can restore them the next time gnunet-gtk (or any other UI that asks for this feature) starts
  • improvements to the bandwidth allocation code ensure that GNUnet always stays within the specified bandwidth limits

Screenshot:

http://gnunet.org/download/GNUnet-0.7.0.tar.bz2
http://gnunet.org/download/gnunet-gtk-0.7.0.tar.bz2
http://gnunet.org/libextractor/download/libextractor-0.5.4.tar.gz
http://gnunet.org/download/win32/Setup-0.7.0.exe
http://gnunet.org/download/win32/Setup-0.7.0.exe.asc

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
Re: GNUnet 0.7.0 released
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2005, 05:46:34 PM »
Hey, do you happen to know if there are any repositories that have this in it along with its dependencies, I'd like to try it but the last time i tried, the dependency hell was just too much for me and i gave up.

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2005, 06:00:15 PM »
Hey, do you happen to know if there are any repositories that have this in it along with its dependencies, I'd like to try it but the last time i tried, the dependency hell was just too much for me and i gave up.

Dependency Hell sounds really funny ;D But stop: I would recommend Debian as a rock solid and stable distribution. One of the outstanding features of Debian is the package and dependency management and I bet you will never use another distro again after you met your new friend apt-get ;D

I tried many distros before (SuSE, Dead Rat and so on), but none of them had such a fantastic package management system like Debian. Give it a try, you will not regret it  O:)

CU,
Markus

Cheers,
Markus

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2005, 07:27:43 PM »
i have problem in this version that i cant make my gnunet smaller!

in pre6 whas not this problem!

and have again socket errors!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2005, 07:33:37 PM by defnax »

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2005, 07:55:34 PM »
I would recommend Debian as a rock solid and stable distribution. One of the outstanding features of Debian is the package and dependency management
True true.  :)

GNUnet 0.7.0 isn't packaged yet. But there is a file README.debian (online available at https://gnunet.org/svn/GNUnet/README.debian) that lists the dependencies.

Singularity: If you have difficulties installing GNUnet, just ask. :)

Nils

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2005, 08:06:51 PM »
i have problem in this version that i cant make my gnunet smaller!
You're talking about the window, right?
Yes, there seems to be a (unintentional) minimum size set. I'll have a look at it, thanks. :-)

and have again socket errors!
"Connection refused" and "Connection timed out." are normal. This simply means that the hosts changed it's IP adress and we're still trying to connect to the old one.
"Network unreachable" is often seen with port 1080 (the HTTP transport). I guess this is due to misconfigured packet filters.

Please let me know if you have other socket problems.

Thanks,

Nils

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2005, 05:58:16 AM »

Singularity: If you have difficulties installing GNUnet, just ask. :)

Nils
Well..I do know how to do it..it's just that it's unfair that its easier to install on Windows than it is on Linux.
After all, it's GNUnet, not microsoftnet. And even though I have Synaptic's apt-get capabilities on my machine, there's a lot of dependencies on that list that aren't in my repositories.

Now I'm not saying they should go so far as to create an Autopackage .package file for super-easy setup, but at least including an easy download of the related dependencies on the same download page would be nice.

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2005, 06:26:07 AM »
it's unfair that its easier to install on Windows than it is on Linux.
That's because the Windows package ships with all dependencies included (except MySQL ;)).

there's a lot of dependencies on that list that aren't in my repositories.
For example?

Nils

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2005, 06:01:45 PM »
Well, for instance, all these are missing for me, using all possible enabled repositories, running PCLinuxOS Preview .91
libgtk2.0-dev
libsqlite3-dev
libmysqlclient14-dev
libextractor1-dev
zlib1g-dev
libgcj-dev
libglade2-dev

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2005, 06:35:51 PM »
The dependency list is for Debian and PCLinuxOS doesn't seem to be Debian based.

libgtk2.0-dev
Perhaps libgtk+2.0_0-devel-2.6.4-4tex is the right choice.

libsqlite3-dev
www.sqlite.org

libmysqlclient14-dev
Not needed if you use SQLite.

libextractor1-dev
www.gnunet.org/libextractor

zlib1g-dev
zlib1-1.1.4-8mdk
zlib1-devel-1.1.4-8mdk

libgcj-dev
Not sure about this one. But I think it's only required to build libextractor's Java binding which has nothing to do with GNUnet.

libglade2-dev
libglade2.0_0-2.5.1-1mdk

Nils

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2005, 07:54:36 PM »
Heh. You know what, you're right, a lot of those are just named differently in the PCLinux repos. I didn't see it cause I was just cut and pasting into synaptic's search box.  Okay then, I'll give it a go again.

Offline Zipsel

• Advanced
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2005, 06:29:05 AM »
Im loneley!  ;D

Im running 0.7.0 now for 48 hours - its stable, but Im connected sometimes with _one_ peer, mostly nobody! Is any other user with 0.7.0 out there?
Now Ive been connected via dyndns - maybe that would help for more connects? Could be something wrong with my installation?

EDIT: Its OK now! I got up to 4 peer-connects  ;D ;D ;D

CU,
Zipsel
« Last Edit: September 02, 2005, 07:35:09 AM by Zipsel »

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 11:46:09 AM »
I'm connected to 9 nodes at the moment.
Setup: Pentium 100 Classic, 32 MB RAM, Debian GNU/Linux Etch, dyndns.

The logs should tell you if there's something unusual.

Nils

Offline ndurner

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • Nils Durner
GNUnet 0.7.0-1 for Windows
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2005, 08:57:29 PM »
0.7.0-1 fixes a memory leak in the Unix emulation code (PlibC).
Thanks to teotester for the report!

The new package also contains newer versions of the graphics libraries.

Download: http://www.gnunet.org/download/win32/Setup-0.7.0-1.exe
Signature: http://www.gnunet.org/download/win32/Setup-0.7.0-1.exe.asc

Nils