Author Topic: MFC-MUTE-0.0.6 released  (Read 6241 times)

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
MFC-MUTE-0.0.6 released
« on: August 21, 2005, 11:46:17 AM »
MFC-MUTE-0.0.6 released

changelog:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--- version 0.0.6 -- 08-13-2005 release:-----------------------------------------------------------------------
--- explanation of fixes/additions/alterations
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.  Incorporated Jason Rohrer's DROP TREE security patch code.
2.  Updated About screen with sourceforge address http://www.sourceforge.net/projects/mfc-mute-net
3.  The searching of wildcards '*' now limits the return of results.  The results are
    randomized, to increase security and to reduce wildcard network search attacks.
4.  Files such as desktop.ini and Thumbs.db will not be included ever in search results.
    There is no real reason to be able to download these files, so they've been removed from
    search results.
5.  Dynamic tab icons at startup based on the files in the icons directory under the main program
    directory.  Below is a list of the files.  If a user wants to change the icon displayed at startup,
    just copy a new icon file in the directory and name it accordingly.
          icons\searchTab.ico
          icons\downloadsTab.ico
          icons\uploadsTab.ico
          icons\connectionsTab.ico
          icons\sharedfilesTab.ico
          icons\settingsTab.ico
6.  Network traffic statistics added on various screens (ENGLISH only currently)
7.  Added Port to Settings dialog.       

download:
http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=133178&package_id=148828&release_id=350568

Offline submarine

• Regular
    • View Profile
Re: MFC-MUTE-0.0.6 released
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2005, 02:05:38 PM »
hasnīt version 0.0.6 been already released some months ago?

does that mean that jroc is going to continue to work on mfc mute? iīd really appreciate that, it has become silent about mute during the last few months....

Offline tobiash

• Regular
  • If I can have it, you can have it too
    • View Profile
    • MyMute
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2005, 06:25:43 PM »
hasnīt version 0.0.6 been already released some months ago?

does that mean that jroc is going to continue to work on mfc mute? iīd really appreciate that, it has become silent about mute during the last few months....

Only as a beta version, this release is no beta!

I don't known if jroc will contiue working on Mute MFC, but I hope is! I think that his client is the best! It is stable and has a userfriendly GUI!. The only thing keeping it from becoming a really big success is the fact that it does not have multisource download!
Truth is in the eye of the observer!

Offline submarine

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2005, 08:06:18 AM »
well i think i the bigger problem is getting people to accept much slower download rates in exchange for security...

nethertheless iīd be happy to see multisource download implemented in mute :)

would it technically be possible that if several clients want to download the same file, that the packages are routed through the network only once and just splitted up on the last few nodes? this should speed up the network a lot

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2005, 12:57:10 PM »
i wait for multisource downloads too!

i hope it come a mfcmute with multisource downlaods!

i dont know if jroc can to this?

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2005, 04:20:47 PM »
would it technically be possible that if several clients want to download the same file, that the packages are routed through the network only once and just splitted up on the last few nodes? this should speed up the network a lot
This "on the last few nodes" is a problem, because in anonymous P2P networks the nodes don't know if a neighbour is the source of the packet or if he's only one of the many proxies...

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline submarine

• Regular
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2005, 10:36:06 AM »
ok but lest say client A gets a request for the same file by client B and C; Client A could than deliver the junks it is getting to both clients (no matter how far client A is away from the "real" source or B an C from the "real" receiver)
i didnīt think about it carefully but this should save at least some bandwidth right?

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2005, 06:26:11 PM »
but this should save at least some bandwidth right?
Yes, I think so. IMO such "caching ants" would boost the network troughput.

There's the old problem: "Am I responsible for dangerous files or parts of them stored unencrypted in my cache?"
Perhaps a little cache in RAM would improve the network, but the most improving would have a cache on the harddisk. Mute with such a harddisk cache sounds like Freenet, Entropy or GNUnet, but it's much less secure and much more dangerous for use than these three network. But I think it would be much less ressource eating than Freenet...  ;D

Greetings,
Nemo.