Author Topic: How to: Anonymous filesharing with i2phex  (Read 14572 times)

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
    • http://www.planetpeer.de
How to: Anonymous filesharing with i2phex
« on: August 11, 2005, 05:46:19 PM »
Version: 1.0 2005-08-11

0. Introduction

i2phex is an adapted Gnutella client for anonymous filesharing on top of the I2P network. If you plan to use i2phex you should be aware of the beta status of this software (although it works mostly fine). Except of I2P-BT i2phex is the only filesharing application who has been adapted for i2P at the time being.

To ease the start with i2phex I have compiled a setup program (i2phex Planet Peer Edition) for Windows users which includes the original i2phex 0.1.1.25 files and recent host files from legionīs eespite to allow a quick start with i2phex. The run.bat was modified by me to function properly for Windows users. 

Please find below the necessary steps required for i2phex installation and configuration.

1. i2phex installation

First off, download the i2phex setup
Important: You have to register with the Planet Peer portal to access the download section!

Start the setup and follow the instructions. Before you can start i2phex for the first time it is important to set the path to your JRE accordingly. Open the file run.bat with your favorite editor and modify the following path if necessary:

Code: [Select]
REM adapt your path to the java exe
SET JAVAEXE="c:\Program Files\Java\jre1.5.0\bin\java.exe"

After you have modified the path you are ready to go. Check your start menü for a new folder called "i2phex 0.1.1.25 Planet Peer Edition" which contains the start link for i2phex. Click this link and wait until i2phex starts. Hint: The slower your PC, the longer you have to wait (do not wonder, i2(phex) is written in Java ;))

When i2p is running you can continue with the configuration. Some settings have to be adjusted according to the screenshots:

2. i2phex configuration

The first time i2phex starts it creates a directory in your user profile. You can find it within your user profile: 
X:\Documents and Settings\<username>\i2phex. Copy the file i2pautoconnecthosts.cfg from the i2phex program directory into the above directory.

After this step you have adjust the following settings:

a) Network Settings

b) Firewall/Proxy Settings

c) Bandwidth Settings

As soon as the settings have been adjusted it is really important that you stop i2phex. The changed settings will be applied the next time you start i2phex. Now start i2phex again and wait for at least 15 minutes. With some luck you should now have some connections to ultrapeers or leafs - if not, follow the hints below:

3. Important notices

There is no guarantee that i2phex works properly. If you experience problems check the following hints:

- Do you have the latest I2P version installed? (0.6.2 at the time being)

- Did you try to start i2phex at different times? Sometimes all i2phex nodes are offline so you are unable to connect to the i2phex network

- It is not unusual if there are only a few nodes and less content is available. But donīt be afraid, the network is growing :)

I hope you find this how to usefull. If you have suggestions, criticism or whatever do not hesitate to let me know ;D

« Last Edit: August 11, 2005, 06:30:32 PM by Markus »

Cheers,
Markus

Offline Singularity

• TechnoSmurf
  • Advanced
  • deez nuts
    • View Profile
Re: How to: Anonymous filesharing with i2phex
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2005, 10:33:40 PM »
Hi, I don't suppose you've got a Linux version of this setup app sitting around?
Also, since the eepsite for i2phex isn't around at the moment, where is a person who wants to compile from source supposed to get i2phex from?
By the way, since the eepsite isn't up still, does that mean that development has stopped??

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2005, 06:31:11 AM »
Hi,
Hi, I don't suppose you've got a Linux version of this setup app sitting around?
Sorry, this is for Windoze only.

Also, since the eepsite for i2phex isn't around at the moment, where is a person who wants to compile from source supposed to get i2phex from?
AFAIK the i2phex sourcecode is available at the official I2P cvs, but due to lack of time I did not try to compile it yet.

Anyway, you can use the official i2phex 0.1.1.25 archive to install i2phex under linux. It is not necessary to build a binary from the sourcecode.

By the way, since the eepsite isn't up still, does that mean that development has stopped??
I noticed too that sirupīs eepsite is offline since a while, but that does not necessarily mean that development has stopped. Please donīt forget that the actual status of the I2P network is far away from being production ready. A while ago sirup stated that he canīt guarantee that his eespite will be available 24/7, so this may be another reason.

Cheers,
Markus

Offline dreamsurfer

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 12:35:02 PM »
Hi Markus,

do I have to poke a hole into my firewall for i2phexen's listening port?

greetings dreamsurfer

Offline Markus

• Administrator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2006, 10:13:57 AM »
Hi Markus,

do I have to poke a hole into my firewall for i2phexen's listening port?

greetings dreamsurfer
Hi dreamsurfer,

no, thatīs not necessary. i2phex communicates with the I2P core via the standard I2P ports.

Cheers,
Markus