Author Topic: Entropy-RSA  (Read 5520 times)

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
Entropy-RSA
« on: June 22, 2005, 06:41:19 AM »
Quote from: pullmoll
Geschrieben von / Written by pullmoll am 21. Juni 2005 19:32:04:

Yes, I did it.

In the CVS there's a "new" Entropy build with RSA instead of McEliece PKCS.
Not only that, I also ripped out a hell of a lot of crappy code and replaced it with standards.

Here's the list of (major) changes:
- LZW is gone; ZLIB is used now everywhere (except for GIF, of course :)
- Lili2 is gone. This block cipher was slow as hell. Replaced with "dragon".
- Chunk size increased from 16K to 256K. That makes many "small" files go
into one, single chunk. It also reduces the number of files in a tree store,
and I'm thinking about ripping out store_mono all together.
- RSA 2048 bit keys used as PKCS to initiate session keys
- Session keys are, corresponding to RSA size, now 256 bytes (=2048 bits)
- Ripped some suspicious code from stream ciphers by others

Currently I'm running three nodes (two local and entropy.stop1984.com:37374) with the new build, and the transfer speed is impressive to say the least. I think the major effect is the reduced connection chat (256 bytes instead of 86K bytes), together with the increased speed by the new block cipher for keys (dragon) and ripped out scrambling of buffers before/after transmission.

If you find time, please give it a try.

ciao pm

;D

So fairly soon it's going to be good bye old network, hello even faster new network. Eat our dust freenet, muhahaha...

It does mean new builds will need to be made, no doubt that legion will soon use entropy-rsa in his distribution's upcoming release.

Offline Nemo

• Global Moderator
  • Elite
    • View Profile
Re: Entropy-RSA
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 04:06:40 PM »
Quote from: pullmoll
In the CVS there's a "new" Entropy build with RSA instead of McEliece PKCS.
Not only that, I also ripped out a hell of a lot of crappy code and replaced it with standards.
[...]
If you find time, please give it a try.

ciao pm

;D

So fairly soon it's going to be good bye old network, hello even faster new network. Eat our dust freenet, muhahaha...
And I thought Entropy's core doesn't need any improvement?  ;D

I like the decision of Pullmoll to continue the Entropy project at least for a while. Let's hope his latest changes in his software (using standards for encryption, no more homebrew things) will attract other C developers for his project... A one-man-show can be very disappointing for the developer (much work) and the users (no more bugfixes or improvements during project hibernations).... ::)

About Freenet: "There's life in the old dog yet." ("Totgesagte leben lšnger.")  8)

Greetings,
Nemo.

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 07:52:38 PM »
And I thought Entropy's core doesn't need any improvement?  ;D

Well, it was already far better than any of the latest freenet releases. Now it's much better than it was. No matter how good something is there is usually room for improvement.

I like the decision of Pullmoll to continue the Entropy project at least for a while. Let's hope his latest changes in his software (using standards for encryption, no more homebrew things) will attract other C developers for his project... A one-man-show can be very disappointing for the developer (much work) and the users (no more bugfixes or improvements during project hibernations).... ::)

Heck yeah I hope more developers join the project. Right now what it really needs is more users!

About Freenet: "There's life in the old dog yet." ("Totgesagte leben lšnger.")  8)

Real funny, rofl, I'm about ready to bust my gut. Can't we just leave that poor tired very old three legged blind deaf and dumb dog alone? Hasn't it gone through enough already, isn't it time to bury it yet?

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2005, 04:10:53 PM »
Seems version 0.9.0 430 and 431 are both broken to some degree. So last version I recommend using is 429, until pullmoll next releases a working build (wouldn't expect 432 and possibly the next few versions after that to work).

Problems, 430 has a broken proxy (after a while it will stop responding). 431 has broken networking in which connecting and peer status features are seriously mangled.

So it seems like 429 may be the last cleanly working version. Bah, hate to downgrade, but if we must, oh well. It isn't a major downgrade from 431 to 429, though as I recall the chat feature was introduced in 430.

We can only hope that pullmoll fixes things and releases a good build soon. Either that or it's time for other developers to contribute to the project.

Offline crypton

• Elite
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2005, 06:53:45 PM »
i can say windows users have problems with entropy !
Windows users can forget Entropy at the moment!
I have this problem with entropy and other win users too, see my taskmanager :

only linux and BSD dont have this problem!

or you must look what can do when have time :
http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66166/messages/6546.htm

http://f27.parsimony.net/forum66166/messages/6538.htm

Offline bitz

• Advanced
  • Planet Peer Community
    • View Profile
    • My Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2005, 10:36:56 PM »
Uh that is not a problem and does not make entropy something windows users should avoid for now.

From what I understand concerning this issue...
First of all that is due to cygwin and the differences between linux and windows handling processes. Part of the solution is to find a good replacement to the windows taskmanager.

Besides this is not a new issue, it's a very old cygwin one.

So really where is the beef? Windows taskmanger or cygwin? Well both, windows taskmanager for being too limited and basic. Cygwin for not grouping all it's processes for one application into one windows process (though really that is asking quite a bit from cygwin.

However I have noticed that whenever entropy stops responding legion's stop tool currently cannot get it's processes to stop. Hopefully legion's aware of this issue and will deal with it. Meanwhile the cygtools have command line applications that can be used. Or the user can click on each process in the windows taskmanager and select end process, again only when entropy is not responding. Anyways this is only a minor issue and one only legion's distribution has (since the official windows builds from pullmoll don't have any of legion's tools and don't include any extras).

Bottom line entropy is great (even for windows users) and whatever problems that do exist are being addressed by pullmoll, legion and others.

Pullmoll keeps improving the core and others like legion are working on platform specific distributions.